You can use beef, lamb, chicken or veal and have a healthy meal for everyone. Whether it is for some weekend night getaway or a movie marathon day at home – this homemade Doner kebab recipe is made to please the crowd.
Shawarma Style Turkish Doner Kebab
- 8 Chicken thigh fillets (skinless & boneless) / Quorn
- 2 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 levelled tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil/Low Cal Spray
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 Skewers (metal or wooden)
- Spicentice Turkish Kebab Spices
- 150g low-fat Yogurt
- Few sprigs of Mint Leaves - (finely chopped)
- 6 Flatbreads or Gluten Free bread
- Sliced Lettuce (cos or iceberg)
- Tomato Slices
- White Onion Slices
- In a bowl mix together the garlic, salt, lemon juice, oil/low-calorie spray, tomato puree and Spicentice Kebab Spices. Add the chicken / Quorn and coat each piece with the marinade.
- Prepare the Yogurt Sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 200c or BBQ. Take one piece of chicken thigh or Quorn at a time, fold in half (if necessary) and thread onto two skewers. Repeat with all the chicken thighs /Quorn.
- Prop the skewers on the edge of the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 mins on one side and then turn onto the other side and cook for a further 20 mins, or until chicken or Quorn is cooked through with some charring around the edges.
- Remove chicken/Quorn from oven and stand upright or at an angle, and slice thinly.
- Place a flatbread, add lettuce, sliced onions and tomatoes. Add the sliced chicken kebab/Quorn and drizzle with yogurt dressing. Enjoy!