Greek Souvlaki at home recipe
For the Tzatziki:
- 150g natural yogurt
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, grated, and squeezed to remove excess water
- Fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
- 600g chicken thighs or breast fillets, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 10-12 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Flatbread or pita bread
- Salad leaves
- Red onions, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Quorn, lamb, or turkey can be used instead of chicken
- In a bowl, prepare the tzatziki by combining the natural yogurt, grated cucumber, chopped mint leaves, and chopped coriander leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a separate bowl, add the diced chicken, crushed garlic, lemon juice, pinch of salt, oil, and water. Mix well to coat the chicken evenly. Allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat your grill or barbecue to medium heat.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Cook the skewers on the grill or barbecue for approximately 10 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and slightly charred.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the flatbread or pita bread.
- Assemble the gyros by placing salad leaves, sliced red onions, and tomatoes on the toasted flatbread or pita bread.
- Once the chicken skewers are done, remove them from the grill and place them on top of the salad.
- Drizzle the tzatziki sauce over the chicken and enjoy!
Optional: You can try variations of this recipe using Quorn, lamb, or turkey instead of chicken for different flavors.
Enjoy your homemade chicken gyros with refreshing tzatziki sauce and a variety of fresh toppings!