Serve a delightfully flavourful chicken Jalfrezi with tender and juicy chunks of your favourite chicken in a spicy tomato sauce. Studded with stir-fried onions and peppers, this dish is very quick to prepare. There's no need to look for the nearest Indian restaurant - this meal can be cooked easily at home, and is a healthy option that's perfect for anyone on a weight loss journey.
It gives a smoky taste through its signature large pieces of chilli. It’s not complete without a green pepper and onion. You can also swap the chicken for lamb or vegetables depending on your preferences.
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 2 medium onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 medium tomato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1½ tsp of tomato puree
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil or low cal spray
- 1 tsp of salt
- fresh coriander (for garnish - optional)
Spicentice Jalfrezi Spices Sachet
Remove the skin from the chicken and discard. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Mix with the contents of the Jalfrezi Spices Sachet 1 and the salt, so the chicken is well coated. Leave to marinade for 15 mins or longer. Meanwhile, finely chop the ginger, garlic, tomato and one onion.
Cut the other onion and pepper into quarters.
Cooking the curry
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry. As they start to brown, add the ginger and garlic and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the marinated chicken, reduce the heat and cover, occasionally stirring for 10 mins.
- Stir in the contents of Sachet 2, the tomatoes, onion and pepper, and cook for another 5 mins.
- Now stir in 100ml of warm water and the tomato puree and gently simmer for 10 mins until the chicken is tender. If you require more sauce merely add a little more water.
- Finally, check the seasoning and serve with plenty of chopped coriander.
Why choose Spicentice?
All of our recipes are made to be vegan-friendly and ideal for anyone on slimming world - just swap out the meat if you prefer. Whether you're preparing your next family dinner or a whole feast to please a party, we have so many dishes for you to choose from.