The Best Authentic Saag Aloo Recipe
No Indian feast would be complete without the best side dish - saag aloo. This recipe is known for its tasty combination of potatoes and spinach. It’s healthy, and it tastes great.
If you have some leftover boiled potatoes, then this recipe is perfect. Saag aloo is an ideal way to use up the spare potatoes in a tasty meal. It’s a satisfying side dish that you can create for everyone, as it’s suitable for vegans, vegetarians and even for weight watchers.
Authentic Saag Aloo
- 2 large potatoes that are cut into cubes
- ¼ tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 knob of butter
- ½ tsp of olive oil
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tbsp of water
- 350g of fresh spinach
- 2 x Tandoori Spices Kit
Preparing the potatoes
Boil the cubes of potatoes for roughly 8 to 12 minutes until they become tender. Poke them with a fork to check, and make sure they don't overcook. Drain them and put them aside. If you're using leftover potatoes, then you can check if they are still tender. You may want to boil them again.
- Fry the cumin seeds with your butter and oil until it starts to brown.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Wait for them to turn brown.
- Mix in the Spicentice curry mix.
- Add the boiled potatoes, water, and the remaining ingredients.
- Lastly, add the spinach and stir for about 4 minutes until the spinach has all wilted.
- Serve it while hot.
Tip: If you do not have fresh ginger, then you can skip it.
Why choose Spicentice?
Award winning, and authentic, Spicentice are the best when it comes to finding the finest spices and rubs on the market. We have award-winning kits that let you create your favourite meals at home. They're healthy and ideal for vegetarians and vegans too.