Cheap and packed with flavour, chicken livers can be an excellent meal for everyone. This simple recipe works great for a light lunch or appetizer. Enjoy a crunchy exterior that protects the densely textured meat from overcooking, and allows it to be mixed in different recipes without losing all of its juices.
Most butchers and supermarkets will sell chicken livers. Rinse the liver with cold water and trim it properly for the best flavour. Add rich-tasting caramelised onions that, combined with Madeira, create a perfect sauce for chicken livers. It’s tasty and nutritious especially if served over rice or toast.
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- 3 onions
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- ¾ tsp of salt
- 1 ¼ lb chicken liver
- ½ cup of Madeira
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley
- Spicentice Tikka Spice Mix
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil over a moderate heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper and Spicentice Tikka Spice mix. Stir frequently until the onions are browned. This should take for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the onions and set it aside. You can also put it in a serving platter.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and season the chicken livers with salt and pepper. Put the livers in the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn it around and cook until all browned as well.
- Check if the livers are still pink inside and remove it from the pan.
- Place the livers on top of the onion bed. Add the Madeira on the pan and boil it. Scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any liver and onion residue.
- Pour the sauce over the onions and the livers.
- Top it with parsley and the boiled egg.
- Serve it over rice or toast.
Why choose Spicentice?
Enjoy all your favourite dishes with the trusted Spicentice kits and seasonings. Our products are made with 100% pure herbs and spices, so you can be assured about the quality of the dishes you can create. We have carefully selected all the ingredients and sourced them from trusted suppliers across the globe.