The Best Roast Gammon Joint Recipe
This recipe is easy to make, giving you a succulent roast ham for your next dinner with friends or family. Our spice kit helps you create a golden-glazed, juicy roast that will leave mouths watering. Make sure you buy a quality joint from a high-welfare meat store or butcher, and order in advance if it's for the holiday season to avoid disappointment.
Roast ham is a rich, salty meat that can be enjoyed hot or cold. It's best served with other seasonal ingredients like asparagus and fennel. You should always score the skin before you roast, which helps crisp it up. And if you want a joint that's easy to carve, ask your butcher for a boneless, rolled cut.
Roast Gammon Joint
- 2kg gammon
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery sticks
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Spicentice Beer Can Chicken Rub
Poaching the ham
Pork meat turns into ham through the process of brining. Submerge the joint in salted water and mix the Spicentice Beer Can Chicken Rub. Leave it for a day or two to let the salt fully penetrate the meat. Before cooking, make sure that you soak it overnight in cold, fresh water to wash away any excess salt.
- Place the gammon and the vegetables in a large pot with water and cover it. Bring it to boil and simmer for around 90 minutes. Adjust the times if your gammon joint is smaller or larger than 2kg.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Remove the gammon from the saucepan and keep the liquid for stock. Score the skin and fat.
- Mix the mustard, brown sugar, honey, and vinegar. Brush half of it over the gammon and roast it in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out again and brush the other sides of it with the glaze.
- Lay some vegetables on the base of the roasting tin and add some on top of the gammon.
- Cook it in the oven for 90 minutes. Glaze it every 15 minutes.
- Remove the gammon from the oven and leave to rest.
- Carve the gammon and serve on a large platter.
Why choose Spicentice?
Creating delicious dishes at home is a lot easier with Spicentice kits and seasonings. We have a wide range of products to choose from, letting you whip up tasty, hearty dinners for the whole family.