The Best Homemade Doner Kebab Recipe
Are you looking for a guilt-free meal to prepare for family and friends? There’s no need for you to dig out those takeaway recipes if you’re in the mood for a doner kebab. This delicious recipe lets you recreate the flavour at home, but so much healthier. Enjoy authentic thinly sliced meats with seasonings that are made of pure herbs and spices for a traditional, delicious flavour.
You can use beef, lamb, chicken or veal, or even use meat substitutes like Quorn if you’re cooking for vegetarians or vegans. Whether you’re entertaining guests or you just want a takeaway-style dish for movie night, our recipe is perfect.
Shawarma Style Turkish Doner Kebab
- 8 chicken thigh fillets (skinless & boneless) or Quorn
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 leveled tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil or low cal spray
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 skewers (metal or wooden)
- Spicentice Turkish Kebab Spices
- 150g of low-fat yoghurt
- A few sprigs of mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 6 flatbreads or gluten-free bread
- Sliced lettuce (cos or iceberg)
- Tomato slices
- White onion slices
- In a bowl, mix together the garlic, salt, lemon juice, oil, tomato puree and Kebab Spices. Add the chicken or Quorn and coat each piece with the marinade.
- Prepare the yoghurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 200c or light the BBQ. Take one piece of chicken thigh or Quorn at a time, fold in half (if necessary) and thread onto two skewers. Repeat until the meat is all on the skewer.
- Prop the skewers on the edge of the baking tray, or place onto the BBQ grill.
- Bake for 20 mins on one side and then turn onto the other side and cook for a further 20 mins, or until chicken or Quorn is cooked through with some charring around the edges. The BBQ will likely be faster - keep an eye on it.
- Remove from the oven or BB and stand upright or at an angle, and slice thinly.
- Place a flatbread on your plate, add lettuce, sliced onions and tomatoes. Add the sliced kebab and drizzle with yogurt dressing.
Why choose Spicentice?
All of our seasoning kits and blends are sourced from suppliers around the globe, hand-selected by us to ensure only the best ingredients are in each pack. We know how important pure spices are to a dish, and we ensure that you’ll never be let down by quality.