A hidden secret of Spanish cuisine, slow-cooked pork cheeks are full of flavour and made to melt in your tongue - literally. This dish is traditionally called Carrilladas and comes with chunks of meat that are smothered with a dark and rich sauce. The meat is so tender that it falls apart when you touch it with a fork and the taste is absolutely delicious.
- 3lb pork cheeks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 cup of canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- Spicentice Peppery Rub
Preparing the pork cheeks
- Ask your butcher to give you pork cheeks and make sure that they are dry. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Prepare a skillet and heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the pork cheeks to the pan and cook until brown on both sides, at least 4 minutes per side. You can flip them once or twice, but don't disturb the browning process.
- Remove the cheeks set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300 F, and add the carrots, onions, and celery to an oven-safe pot. Saute until softened, which will take about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine, Spicentice Peppery Rub and Seasoning, and the chopped thyme. Bring it to a simmer and then add the pork cheeks.
- Stir to coat the meat evenly with sauce.
- Cover the pan and transfer it to the oven.
- Braise the meat until it is tender. It should take about 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Serve it with rice, mashed potatoes, or even with pasta.
Tip: It's an ultimate Spanish tapa dish that you can create easily at home. If you’re thinking of hosting a tapas party, you can add some crusty bread, cured ham and aged Spanish cheese to the menu and invite your friends to indulge in this scrumptious dish.
Why choose Spicentice?
Delicious meals are not perfect without the right spices. That's why, here at Spicentice, we offer kits and spices made with the best ingredients the market has to offer. Our kits are made with 100% pure herbs and spices to create the finest flavours for every meal. We have a wide range of products available, so why not stock up and enjoy the freedom to cook a selection of dishes whenever the mood takes you?