The Best Lamb Kofta Kebab Recipe
There’s something about that aroma of the Middle Eastern spices sizzling over hot charcoals, that makes lamb kofta kebab a true favourite. This lamb kofta kebab recipe lets you create the perfect version at home, and is best served with Middle Eastern carrots, cabbage and mint salad, warm pita bread or hot rice.
Kofta comes from the Persian word kufteh, which means "mashed". Before the use of food processors, meats were literally mashed with a large mortar and pestle and added into different dishes.
As such, lamb kofta is a classic dish made of oval-shaped or rounded patties of seasoned ground lamb, mixed with tahini sauce and typically served inside a warm pita. It’s also equally good with minced chicken and yoghurt.
Lamb Kofta Kebab
- 500g of minced lamb meat
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger
- Handful of coriander
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Bamboo skewers
- Spicentice Persian Kofta Spice OR Doner Kebab Seasoning for deep flavours
- Chop the garlic, onion, ginger and coriander together. Start to soak the skewers in some water.
- Place the minced lamb in the large bowl and mix the vegetables with it. Add the lemon juice and the Spicentice Persian Kofta spice. Make sure to mix all the ingredients thoroughly and leave it to marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into six to eight pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Skewer each one, pressing it gently into a thinner shape. You might want to use safety gloves while skewering the meat.
- Grill your lamb kofta kebabs for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Rotate them to make sure it's cooked on all sides.
- Serve this with salad, flatbread and add yoghurt or mint dressing depending on your preferences.
Tip: Ask your butcher to mince some lamb shoulder for you. It’s the best cut for kofta that you can purchase.
Why choose Spicentice?
We always believe in the power of herbs and spices, and their role in creating a dish that can really satisfy your cravings. That’s why we continue to expand our selection, and look for the best recipes from across the globe that make the most of our seasonings.
This recipe is also fantastic if you swap in a vegetarian replacement, perfect for anyone who is slimming or just prefers a vegetarian or vegan diet. Simply enjoy the authentic flavours in every bite thanks to our authentic seasoning kit, and say goodbye to those fatty takeaways!