The Best Malaysian Beef Rendang Curry Recipe
A little bit spicy, rich in flavour and creamy - this Malaysian beef rendang curry is a common favourite of many. It is known by its taste ingredients of beef, spices and smooth coconut milk. It explodes with flavour and is undoubtedly the most famous curry around Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
In Malaysia, it is cooked to be served to honoured guests and on ceremonial occasions. If you are looking for a healthy and hearty meal for the family, then this beef rendang curry should be on the top of your list. There are also other variations such as lamb rendang and chicken rendang.
Malaysian Rendang Curry
- 650g diced beef or 4 chicken breasts
- 4 medium onions
- 400ml coconut milk
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2-inch piece ginger
- 2 limes
- 4 tbsp cooking oil/low cal spray
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tsp of sugar or sweetener
- Fresh coriander (for garnish - optional)
- Malaysian Rendang Curry Kit
Peel and roughly chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Put all the ingredients into a blender with 3 tbsp of cooking oil or low cal spray, 4 tbsp of water and the contents of Malaysian Rendang Sachet 1. Blend all the ingredients until the mixture turns into a paste. Cut the beef or chicken, if necessary, into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze the juice of two limes.
Cooking the curry
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the paste you've made in the blender.
- Fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the beef or chicken and cook with a lid on for 5 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Next add the coconut milk, the contents of Malaysian Rendang Curry Kit Sachet 2, the lime juice, salt and sugar or sweetener. Stir together and bring to the boil.
- Now lower the heat, cover with a lid and gently simmer for approximately 90 mins (for beef) or 20 mins (for chicken) until the meat is tender. During the last 10 mins of the cooking time, remove the lid to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Season to taste and garnish with fresh coriander.
Why choose Spicentice?
Achieving the classic and authentic flavours of your favourite dishes becomes easier with Spicentice kits and seasonings. They give you everything you need to make traditional dishes in the comfort of your home.