The Best Moroccan Lamb Tagine Recipe
Indulge in authentic and tasty Moroccan flavours with this lamb tagine recipe. Tagine is a slow-cooking lamb stew that is renowned for having a perfect blend of aromatic spices including cumin, turmeric, cardamom, ginger and cinnamon. It’s a satisfying and warm bowl of lamb stew that is ideal to be prepared on cold days as you snuggle with your family and loved ones.
It’s a complicated dish for many because of the richly spiced sauce, but thankfully, we make it really easy for you. Our Morrocan lamb tagine recipe is simple and fast to prepare, and can be made at any time of the day.
Moroccan Lamb Tagine
10 mins prep/90 mins cooking time
- 650g diced lamb
- 4 medium onions
- 2 medium potatoes (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10 dried apricots, halved
- 400ml tinned tomatoes
- 4 tbsp of cooking oil/low cal spray
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of toasted almonds (for garnish - optional)
- Handful of fresh coriander (for garnish - optional)
- Moroccan Lamb Tagine Spices
Roughly chop and soak the dried apricots in 150ml of boiling water. Cut the lamb into bite-size pieces and chop the potatoes into quarters. Finely chop the onions and garlic, and blend the tomatoes.
Cooking the curry
- Heat the oil/low cal spray in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the contents of Moroccan Lamb Tagine Sachet 1 and fry the seeds for a few seconds before adding the onion.
- When the onion has softened, add the garlic. Fry for a minute then add the lamb. Stir well and cook with a lid on for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add Moroccan Lamb Tagine Sachet 2, stir and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Then add the tomatoes, apricots with juice and salt. Stir all the ingredients together and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add 300ml of boiling water, gently simmer for 15 mins, and then add the potatoes.
- Cook for a further 30 mins until the meat is tender. If the sauce begins to dry then add 50ml of boiling water.
- Finally, season to taste and garnish with almonds and fresh coriander.
Tip: If you can, use Argan oil, as it is a specialized Moroccan oil that came from the Argan tree.
Why choose Spicentice?
Any dish you cook at home won't be complete without our spice kits and seasonings. We've a wide range of flavours, all made with pure herbs and spices, that you're sure to love. And they're made with everyone in mind, so they can be used for vegetarian and vegan dishes, as well as low-fat slimming meals.